Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Raspberry Pi components part 1

So, basically the Raspberry Pi has two standard video output connectors. There is a composite video jack and an HDMI connector. Both of these connects are associated with televisions. However, HDMI provides the same video signal as DVI-D, so a passive adapter can be used. I have a monitor with DVI-D input, which is great. While these adapters only cost a few dollars, you still have to order one and that involves stressful things like shipping and well, money. I thought I was going to have to make a purchase, but searching through my magic drawers and cabinets, I found an adapter that came with a video card. This fit the bill, and was $0, technically. (One of the great things about Raspberry Pi is using recycled tech.) The only problem is the genders of the connectors are "wrong" so it requires an HDMI cable + adapter instead of a DVI cable + adapter. (Hopefully you understand what I mean.) I have an HDMI cable I can use, so not really that big of a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment